Thursday, February 23, 2012

New Years get away chase

A few years ago, my partner and I sit, waiting for our next. He is not my normal...extra shift with a "rent a partner". Nice guy. I'll call him Kirk.
We're on night shift...and so far- it...has...been..."slooooooow". One of the words we don't like to speak in this field. Just like "quiet". Once we do, it's non-stop from that point on. The person responsible for letting it slip from their silly little mouth knows not to talk to the rest of us now running ragged for their, uuum- poor choice of word. So...we wait. It's New Years Eve. After the fireworks. Pretty lame night. Watching botched proposals on the news due to the music and fireworks show failing. Bet those girls were pissed.. Sorry guys...at least the 7 of you proposing ALL AT THE SAME TIME, will have a "memorable" story. Oh well, I can't judge right? No rock on my finger *shrug* Eh..whatev. It is a typical cold and rainy night...story of our lives here in our city. Midway through shift, so approximately 0100, give or take. But regardless- my shift is still not over, so...irrelevent. But it's Holiday pay and extra, so who am I to complain? Then the Voice in the Sky tells me to move for my next....Water Rescue. OoooOOOoooo, this has the potential for greatness. But on the flip side- disappointment. Odds= 30/70. So, I move...he checks into the call- Half way en route, our call comes in. How bad can it be if they are going BLS? Hmm...well, not my tech but wish that it was. Traffic was stopped and backed up for the bridge being closed off. Serpentine course through the cars...one of my favorite things- watching people's eye and faces as we squeeze past their cars. NO- we are not going to hit you...driving is our job. Don't stress. The whole bridge is open, except for the Staters and fire...and the one random car- stopped on the side, still running and with the door open and front end bashed in from where it struck at 75mph. No pt anywhere to be seen. I can see people in the back of the medic rig...guess we aren't taking 'em. Wrong. Fire walks up and gives us the skinny- "Soooooo this guy...he says he was the passenger, but he was the only one in the car when PD was chasin' him. Anyway, he got out the car and hopped the barrier thinking that he would be able to hide from them in the water."(Wow...really?!) "He's in custody, PD's gonna meet ya there. He's pretty cold. Do you know how freezing that water is?! This dude's an idiot. Guess that's what happens when you are baked outta your mind and have drugs in the car." Sweet... We get the guy loaded up. Soaked and covered only in an emergency blanket. Bright yellow one. We will call him- Bobby. Bobby's lucky he isn't a broken mess... Start getting him checked out- Kirk- "So, what happened tonight? Why were ya in the water, man?" Simple question right? Well... Bobby- "I got kidnapped! I'm not playin! My friends, they were driving, not me (note he was the only witnessed driver in the car) I didn't do anything. They started running from the cops.."... Kirk- "why?" Bobby "I don't know...I SWEAR!!This guy I didn't know was driving, and then after he started running, there was this other car that started following us. They hit us and that's how *I* (but he wasn't the driver?)crashed into the wall. After we hit, that guy got out and the other car picked him up and they took off!"...Your "friends"?!?...are pretty messed up. Hmm...so this must have been the fastest pick up and go considering PD was on your tail and right behind you the WHOLE time...watching you hop the barrier into the water after you slammed into the wall. One little side note, like we don't notice these things...Bobby was not wearing his right shoe...Why? It was wedged under the gas pedal. Not the driver huh? Not to mention the parting gift of the seatbelt hickie left for you across your left upper chest, strong work for wearing it by the way. Kudos. The car was stolen... *pause for vitals* High speed persuit and a conspiracy of kiddnapping and stealthy getaway cars...all because you were stoned with 1/8 of marijauna in the car with you?? Way to move up from minor possession to grand theft auto.

1 comment: